April 2020 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)
Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history are our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library System. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at pwcgov.org/relic
All Prince William library facilities have been closed to the public since March 16. All previously scheduled programs have been cancelled or postponed. While the closure is in effect, what services can you expect from us?
Reference service by phone and email is still available. RELIC staff will respond to requests when we're able. Service hours are 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, at 703-792-4540 and [email protected].
Please take advantage of our online resources. Our Digital Library contains a variety of current genealogy and history tools including:
- America's Obituaries and Death Notices
- Ancestry for Virginians
- Ancestry Library Edition - available from home until April 30
- Civil War in Words and Deeds
- EBSCO Ebook History Collection
- HeritageQuest Online (genealogy databases)
- Local Newspaper Index (Prince William newspapers)
- The New York Times Historical Newspaper Collection
- The Washington Post Historical Newspaper Collection
- Find It Virginia
For questions related to Prince William history and genealogy, please make the most of RELIC's Digital Archives
. It includes such useful resources as:
- Historic Records since 1700 (church, cemetery, tax, land, probate, business, school, etc.)
- Historic Sites
- Maps 1759 - 2000
- Newspapers, 1791 - 1951+
- Photographic Archive Index
- Vital Records (indexes to births, marriages, and deaths)
A variety of other links can be reached through RELIC's web page which include the topics Resources, Publications, Prince William County, Virginia, and Civil War. Although we currently have no programs scheduled, some past programs have been recorded and may be viewed online.
To be notified of upcoming library programs and activities, you may sign up for the PWPLS newsletter.
Questions and comments are always welcome.