Public Assistance Programs

Medicaid (Virginia's Medical Assistance Program)
Provides health care coverage for low-income individuals and families

Food Assistance - SNAP
SNAP can be used like cash to buy eligible food items with an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
TANF is designed to help needy families with children achieve self-sufficiency through cash payments and supportive services

Child Care
Financial assistance is provided to eligible families to help with cost of child care so they can work or attend education programs

Energy Assistance
Qualifying low income households may receive assistance with their energy expenses (wood, coal, gas, oil or electricity). 

common help.pngYou can apply for most public assistance programs online at 
or over the phone by calling (855) 635-4370 (TTY: 711)

You also may also pickup an application from either our Manassas or Woodbridge office or you may call (703) 792-7500 (TTY: 711) to request an application be mailed to you.

  • Sudley North Government Center: 7987 Ashton Avenue, Suite 200 | Manassas, VA 20109
  • Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building: 15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 180 | Woodbridge, VA 22191
The CommonHelp website can also help you:
  • Report changes to your existing assistance case
  • Complete renewal application for your existing Medicaid, SNAP, TANF or Child Care case
  • Check the status of your existing case or pending application
  • Check Eligibility for public assistance programs