Manufactured Homes

mobile homes2.jpg To apply for zoning approval for a manufactured (HUD approved) home in a mobile home park:

  • A completed Zoning Approval Application form.
  • Processing fee in accordance with the current Zoning Fee Schedule.
  • Three (3) copies of the mobile home park site plan showing the location of the replacement manufactured home pad site identified by an approved pad site number.

Note: Prior to submission of the application, please make sure the mobile home park has a valid non-conforming use (NCU) approval.

What is a manufactured home?: A manufacture home as defined in Part 100 of the Zoning Ordinance means a structure subject to federal regulation, which is transportable in one or more sections; is eight (8') body feet or more in width and forty (40') body feet or more in length in the traveling mode, or is 320 or more square feet when erected on site; is built on a permanent chassis; is designed to be used as a single-family dwelling, with or without a permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities; and includes the plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and electronic systems contained in the structure.

Which zoning districts allow manufactured homes?: Manufactured homes are allowed on lots of 10 acres or greater, non-conforming lots, and lots created under the provisions of Section 25-6 (family land subdivision) of the Prince William County Code in the A-1, Agricultural and RMH, Residential Mobile Home zoning districts. Replacement of a manufactured home is also allowed in all mobile home parks deemed non-conforming.

How to obtain zoning approval for a manufactured home on a lot in the A-1 Zoning District?: Pursuant to Section 32-301.02 of the Zoning Ordinance, a manufactured home may be placed on a lot located in the A-1 Zoning District, as long as it is situated on a permanent foundation and meets all requirements applicable to one-family dwellings, one per lot. A lot grading plan approval constitutes zoning approval. To submit a lot grading plan, please contact the Department of Public Works, Watershed Management at (703) 792-7070 (TTY: 711).  More information. Prior to submission of a lot grading plan, obtain zoning approval for a perc test to install a private septic system to service a manufactured home.   

How to obtain zoning approval for a mobile home (manufactured home) in the RMH Zoning District?: Development in the RMH district shall require site plan approval by the Department of Development Services, as set forth in Part 800 of the Zoning Ordinance. Approval of a site plan constitutes zoning approval. The mobile homes (manufactured homes) permitted in this district are those which meet the requirements set forth in the A.N.S.I. A119.1 Standards for Mobile Homes or its revisions, and are intended for permanent single-family residential use (one story only, one per lot and not be constructed to include any other residential structure or to allow more than one family in one mobile home). To submit a site plan, contact the Land Development Services at (703) 792-6830 (TTY: 711).

For more information on Manufactured Homes, call (703) 792-6830 (TTY: 711) or email [email protected].