Site Development Issues for Residents

Wondering about approvals and requirements for your home projects? Have a question about roadway maintenance? Here are a few guidelines.


  • Answers to Road Questions or to Report Road Problems: Contact the Virginia Department of Transportation Customer Service Center available by calling 1-800-367-7623.


  • Public or Private
    All Publicly maintained streets have State route numbers and Privately maintained streets don't. If you are unsure about your street having a route number, or whether it is a public or private road, contact your community management company, homeowners association (HOA), or the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) at 1-800-367-7623. Generally, a reliable method to determine whether a street is privately maintained is to examine the type of community that the street serves. Publicly maintained streets are usually located within single-family communities with lots sizes less than 10 acres. Privately maintained streets are usually located within townhouse, apartment, condominium, and gated communities or in single-family communities with lot sizes equal to or greater than 10 acres.


To request the removal of snow contact VDOT by calling 1-800-367-7623.

The removal of snow from residential private streets and parking areas (usually located in apartment, condominium, and townhouse communities) is the responsibility of the developer, community manager, or homeowners' association. If you are unable to contact your developer, contact the Department of Public Works at 703-792-7441 or the Department of Transportation at 703-792-6825 for assistance.

Snow removal from residential public streets (generally located within single-family communities) is the responsibility of VDOT. The exception are streets that are under construction; while being constructed these streets are privately maintained and are the responsibility of the builder/developer. Maintenance responsibility shifts to VDOT following construction and a transfer of street ownership as part of the VDOT roadway acceptance process. Neither the County nor VDOT remove snow from sidewalks. Please take responsibility for clearing the sidewalk in front of your home and to offer assistance to any neighbors who are unable to clear their sidewalks.


VDOT provides maintenance for all public streets. Repaving and other routine work is done on a regular maintenance cycle. Contact VDOT at 1-800-367-7623 if you have questions or to report any road problems.


  • Widening a Driveway
    A driveway widening project may require approval from the County Zoning Division. Contact the Zoning Division at 703-792-6830 on email address  [email protected] or visit the Home Improvements Web page. The project should only impact your property and must not encroach on the right-of-way of the public street. It is a good idea to check with your Homeowners Association (HOA) to ensure that your project complies with any HOA requirements.
  • Driveway Access   
    You must contact VDOT at 1-800-367-7623 if you wish to add an access point from your driveway to the road.
  • Materials for a Driveway
    Asphalt and concrete are acceptable materials for driveway construction. Check with your HOA to discuss any specific requirements.


  • Landscaping, Columns, and Sprinkler Systems
    Please make sure these items are located on your property and not within the public right-of-way.
  • Curb and Gutter
    Maintenance of the concrete apron within the public street right-of-way, for curb and gutter, is the responsibility of VDOT. Contact VDOT to report any damage.