Home Occupation Certificate (Office Within A Residence)
Home Occupation: A business activity conducted entirely within a dwelling unit by residents of that unit which is clearly incidental and secondary to the principal use as a dwelling unit. Employees of the business, other than the residents, are not allowed to work at the home where the business is conducted. Home occupation is less intense than home employment and does not have customers coming to the home. Such use shall not change the character of the dwelling unit nor have any exterior evidence. Such uses shall meet the standards of Zoning Ordinance section 32-300.07.
- Application must be filed in person at the Development Services Building.
- Completed Application Form for Home Office (HOC1).
- A Special Power of Attorney Affidavit is required if the applicant is not the property owner or a registered Prince William County contractor.
- Processing fee in cash, check, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover) in accordance with the current Zoning Fee Schedule.
- Personal picture identification, showing proof of current residence (such as a valid driver's license or DMV identification card) must be presented at time of application. Other forms of proof include deeds, leases, and utility bills. Examples of things that are not accepted include cell phone bills, letters, and expired driver's licenses.
- Proof of Trade Name Registration (i.e. Assumed Name Certificate - may not be required if using the applicant/owner's name for trade name).
- Trade names are applied for in person at the Prince William County Judicial Center, at 9311 Lee Avenue, Room 305, Manassas, VA 20110. Office hours are 8:30am to 3:45pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays. Visit the PWC Clerk of the Circuit Court's web page or call (703) 792-6045 for more information.
- If the business will not operate under a trade name, the applicant must apply for HOC1 - Office under the applicant's name.
- Application is for a home office use only and is subject to the provisions of Sec. 32.300.07(2) of the Prince William County Zoning Ordinance (conditions/restrictions are also listed on the HOC application form).
Business License Procedures
Additional Resources for starting a Small Business: