TeamSort: Rules of the Game
Our best shot is to avoid creating waste in the first place.
Look for ways to reduce your waste: avoid disposable items, look for products with less packaging and buy in bulk.
Play it smart, reduce waste!
The Department of Public Works is dedicated to preserving and extending the useful life of the County Landfill. This goal can be achieved through waste reduction, reuse and recycling. Waste reduction is the first and most effective step since it helps prevent the creation of waste in the first place. It also helps residents and businesses save money and has the least negative impact on the environment.
Waste reduction tips anyone may practice:
- Purchase or produce items in just the amount needed
- Buy in bulk when the item has a long shelf life and can be completely used
- Buy concentrated products
- Choose items with less packaging
- Choose items that have a longer life and can be readily recycled
- Consider sharing, renting or borrowing items that are used infrequently
- Select durable items that can be used more than once and avoid disposables
- Use a reusable cloth bag to bring home purchased items
- Don't take a store bag if you purchase only one or two items
- Use cloth napkins, washable silverware, dishes and dish cloths
- Use sealable storage containers rather than plastic wraps
- Buy rechargeable batteries
- Avoid individually packaged items
- Bring mugs and cups to your favorite coffee shop
- Leave your grass clippings on the lawn after mowing to provide nitrogen
- Landscape with native plants that require less mowing and pruning
- Compost your grass, leaves, lawn trimmings and vegetable scraps
- Share information electronically when you can
- Eliminate junk mail, ask companies to remove your name from their mailing list