go backBack

Building Development Division

Building Complaints & Concerns

Building Development - Building Code Enforcement
Citizens and businesses can contact the Building Development Division with complaints or concerns regarding construction or building projects. The Building Code Enforcement Section will investigate concerns regarding construction and building projects in the community. Investigations will ensure the project meets Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code requirements. You may contact Building Code Enforcement directly with building related complaints and/or concerns by calling 703-792-6931, faxing 703-792-4155 or emailing [email protected].

Additional information on other types of complaints and concerns:

Contractual Warranties
State law requires the builder of a new home to provide a one-year warranty on the house and a five-year warranty for the building's foundation. However, the warranty can be amended by your signed contract. Please review your contract to verify the contractual warranties provided. If you believe the builder is not honoring your contract, you may want to consult an attorney.

Note that appliances installed by contractors (such as stoves, furnaces, dishwashers, washers, and dryers) are covered by the manufacturer's warranty, not the builder's warranty.

State Contractor's Licensing
Visit the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation website for

  • information on requirements for state contractors
  • inquiries about a particular contractor (licensing, complaints, etc.)
  • complaint forms for contractual disputes

Public Works - Neighborhood Services
The Neighborhood Services, Property Code Enforcement branch investigates potential property code violations including illegal outdoor storage of debris, falling structures, inoperable vehicles, illegal commercial operations, illegal Popsicle signs, and neighborhood blight. It also investigates complaints for overcrowding, overgrown weeds, tall grass and litter. Visit the Neighborhood Services Web page for more information.

If you have received a notice of violation please visit Correcting and Resolving Unpermitted Work webpage for more information.