go backBack

Building Development Division

Residential Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs

A Building Permit is required for all pools, spas, and hot tubs that; have a surface area of more than 150 square feet, that hold more than 5,000 gallons, or that have a depth of 24" or greater.

  • If the property has a private sewage disposal and water supply (septic and well), contact the Prince William Health District at 703-792-6310.
  • If the swimming pool, spa, or hot tub are installed within a Resource Protection Area (RPA), written authorization from the Department of Public Works, Watershed Branch will be required. Contact the Department of Public Works, Watershed Branch at 703-792-7070.
  • Land Disturbance Permit required if land disturbance exceeds 2500 square feet this includes any incidental disturbance such as access ways etc. By definition: "Land disturbance" or "land-disturbing activity" means a man-made change to the land surface that potentially changes its runoff characteristics including clearing, grading, or excavation.

STEP ONE: Zoning Approval
The Zoning Division counter is open from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.

  • Applicant shall submit 3 copies of a house location survey plat to scale, showing the proposed structure on the plat with all the dimensions and setbacks to the property lines.
  • You must have your plans/plats approved by the Zoning Division before applying for a Building Permit.
  • No approvals are issued after 4 p.m.
  • See Zoning Approval: Swimming Pools for more information.
  • Contact the Zoning Division at 703-792-6830 or [email protected] for further information.

STEP TWO: Plan Approval

All building plans are required to be submitted via Prince William County’s ePortal system. Consult the Customer Electronic Plan Review (ePlans) Guide for information on how to prepare and submit documents for electronic plan review and the electronic plan review guide for building ePlan submission guidelines.

Portable Spas and Hot Tubs
For Portable Spas and Hot Tubs the Building Development Plan Intake Counter is open for walk-through Plan Review from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please provide the following:

  • Two (2) copies of the Zoning Approval Certificate for Building Permit.
  • Details of barriers and gates.
  • Two (2) copies of the Manufacturers Installation Instructions/Specifications.
  • If located on other than a slab-on-grade, provide details/plans for supporting structure.

Pools, Permanent Spas and Hot Tubs
For In-ground Pools, Permanent Spas and Hot Tubs, a full Plan Review is required.

For pre-manufactured Above-Ground Pools please provide the following:

  • Zoning Approval Certificate for Building Permit.
  • Details of barriers and gates.
  • Copy of the Manufacturer’s Installation Instructions/Specifications.

For Permanent Spas/Hot Tubs and In-Ground Pools please provide the following:

STEP THREE: Licensing and Permit Issuance
The Building Permitting Services Counter is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  • The homeowner may obtain the permits and perform the work or the homeowner may hire a contractor to obtain the permits and perform the work.
  • If the homeowner will be performing the work themselves, a completed Statement of Exemption will be required.
  • If a Contractor will be performing the work, current copies of their VA State Contractor’s License and Prince William County Business License are required.
  • If the homeowner is hiring a contractor and obtaining the permits on behalf of the contractor, the homeowner may present copies of the contractor’s state and county licenses and obtain the permits as the agent for the contractor without the contractor required to be present.
  • Please see further information on “Hiring a Contractor”.
  • Please see further information on “Who Should Apply for a Permit?”.
  • Property owner must sign and submit Residential Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs Barrier Installation Responsible Party Form.
  • All pools with a surface area greater than 150 square feet, hold more than 5,000 gallons, or are deeper than 24”, will require a Building Permit.
  • All pools that incorporate lighting, circulation equipment, or receptacle outlets will require an Electrical Permit.
  • All pools with “field installed” heaters will require a Mechanical Permit.
  • All “fuel fired” pool heaters will require a Gas Permit.
  • All pools with a permanent fill line or connection to sanitary sewer will requires a Plumbing permit.

STEP FOUR: Construction Inspections

In order for staff to conduct an inspection of a project, the permit must be posted at the front of the house, visible from the street, and all approved construction documents must be available for the Inspector to review at the time of inspection. Building inspections are conducted between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visit www.pwcgov.org/ePortal or call 1-866-457-5280 to schedule an inspection through the automated system. The system will prompt for the permit number or 6 Digit IVR Pin Number, and an inspection type code, which were provided at the time of permit issuance. The inspection process will vary depending on the extent of the work. For swimming pools, the inspection process varies depending on the type of pool and whether or not the pool is heated.

Residential Portable Hot Tubs and Spas:

  • Building Permit- 121R (final)
  • Electrical Permit- 208R (trench), 215R (final).

Residential Above-Ground Pools:

Residential Permanent In-Ground Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs:

  • Building Permit- 117R (steel inspection before gunite/shotcrete), 121R (final) must provide completed mandatory Residential Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs Inspections Certification Form.
  • Electrical Permit- 217R (shell bond), 209R (perimeter bond), 208R (electrical trench), 210R (concealment), 215R (final).
  • Gas Permit – 701R (test), 750R(final).
  • Mechanical Permit- 350R (final).
  • Plumbing Permit- 412R (if supply piping is to be concealed), 450R (final).