go backBack

Circuit Court Clerk's Office


Divorce suits are filed in the Circuit Court Clerk's Civil Office, room 314. For the Court's Public Parking Google Map, please Click Here.

General Information

To obtain a divorce in Virginia, you or your spouse must be a resident of Virginia for a minimum of six months prior to filing for a divorce, Virginia Code § 20-97.
If there are no children from the marriage, you must be separated for a minimum of six months and have a written property settlement agreement when you file for a divorce, Virginia Code § 20-91.
If there are children from the marriage, you must be separated a minimum of one year before you file for a divorce, Virginia Code § 20-91.
In Virginia, Separation Agreements are filed only AFTER a divorce case has been filed with the Court.
The information provided herein is not intended to be legal advice, and you should not rely on it as such.
You are strongly encouraged to hire an attorney.
If you choose to represent yourself (pro se), you will be expected to follow the same procedures as an attorney.
Please remember the Clerk’s Office staff and the judicial law clerks are unable to give legal advice. They cannot assist you by answering legal questions or questions regarding any forms, etc. They are prohibited by state law from giving you legal advice or assistance. Please do not ask them.
For more information, or for answers to specific questions, please contact an attorney.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a VS-4 form?
You can obtain the State Vital Statistics VS-4 form, revised July 2004, at the Clerk's Office, Room 314 or send a request to Clerk of Circuit Court, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas VA 20110, with a stamped self-addressed envelope. All information must be completed on the original form and must be typed or printed in black ink only. It must be filed with the proposed Final Order of Divorce.

When will my ore tenus hearing be scheduled?
Upon receipt of Notice of Ore Tenus Hearing (see "Information for Filing Divorce") and submission of all required documents, a law clerk will review your file. The law clerk will advise you of any problems with your documents. Any documents you are required to re-submit must be brought or mailed to the Clerk’s Office, Room 314. Do not address any papers to the law clerks directly. The Clerk’s Office will ensure all papers are directed to the correct law clerk.

A HEARING DATE WILL NOT BE SCHEDULED UNTIL APPROVAL BY A LAW CLERK. The Court will then place your case on the docket. After all problems are resolved, you will be called by a calendar clerk to schedule a hearing date. Ore Tenus hearings are held every first and third Thursday of the month at 9:00 AM.

What is the timeframe for obtaining a divorce?
It varies from case to case. It depends on whether the attorney/pro se has filed the paperwork properly, the workload of the law clerks, and the promptness of response to law clerk’s questions. The ore tenus hearing will be scheduled approximately 2 - 3 months after the initial filing of the case if all of the documents are accurate and complete.

What do you do to have custody, visitation or support issues modified or addressed after a divorce is final?
The first step would be to determine if this case was remanded to Juvenile and Domestic Relations (J&DR) Court after the divorce. Refer to the final divorce decree. If it was, you may contact J&DR at 703-792-6160 for information on how to proceed. If the matter remained in Circuit Court, you would first need to reopen the case with a $31.00 fee. Instruction on how to place a motion on our docket is available on our Motions Day Procedures website. We strongly suggest you contact an attorney to receive legal advice.

Where can I find a parenting class?
Available parenting classes include:
Northern VA Community College – “Parents, Children and Divorce” - 703-257-6630
Northern VA Family Service – “Children Cope with Parental Separation” - 703-219-2198

How can I file a final Out-of-State Divorce Decree?

This is referred to as "domesticating a foreign divorce." It is processed by the Prince William County Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, 703-792-6160.

How Can I Obtain copies of Orders and Pleadings?

A copy of the final decree of divorce will be sent to each of the attorneys for the parties after the judge signs it. Additional copies of decrees or copies of pleadings may be requested in person or in writing.

The fee for copies is 50¢ per page. There is an additional $2.00 fee for certifying a copy of a document. Requests for copies sent by mail must be accompanied by check or money order covering the cost of the copies. Checks should be made payable to "Prince William County Circuit Court Clerk." The mailing address is Prince William County Circuit Court Clerk's Office, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110.

Sample Forms

Filing fee $86.00 plus applicable Service fee by a Virginia Sheriff, Virginia Code § 17.1-272.
Service fee $12.00 each person, per document served. Make check payable to "Clerk of Circuit Court."
Court Reporter/Stenographer fee $95.00 (Minimum)
Restoration of Maiden Name $22.00
Ore Hearing before a Judge fee No additional costs


Please notify the Circuit Court Clerk's Office by email if you find that any of the links on this page do not work.