go backBack

Circuit Court Clerk's Office

Concealed Handgun Permit

The Circuit Court Clerk's Civil Office (Room 314) handles the processing of Concealed Handgun Permits. For the Court's Public Parking Locations, please CLICK HERE.

The Clerk of the Circuit Court, Jacqueline Smith, now offers modern hard card design in lieu of paper concealed handgun permits (CHPs). Please complete the Request for Duplicate Permit and submit it with the applicable fees. 

If you previously applied for a hard card with a new address other than the address on file, please submit the Request for Address Change Form with the applicable fees to receive your hard card. 



  • Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Clerk of Circuit Court in the county in which the person resides, or if the person is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which the person is domiciled, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. First time applicants must appear in person.
  • Concealed Handgun Permit Application (Form SP-248) is available at this link. Please be certain to use the latest version of the permit application (3-12-2024).
  • Please carefully review your application so that it is not delayed or denied because of incomplete information. 
  • Fingerprint card is not required.
  • If you submit the application in person, you will have your application confirmed by the clerk, you must have some form of government issued photo identification such as a driver's license or military ID.
  • Listing your Social Security number on the application is optional.
  • You are required to demonstrate competence with a handgun pursuant to Virginia Code § 18.2-308.02 (B). See the list of what you may submit as evidence (click here). Note: A permit issued by another state does not serve as proof of competency.
  • Include $15.00 with your application. By mail, we accept check or money order payable to "Clerk of Circuit Court." If the application is hand carried to the office, we also accept cash and credit card. There is a 2% processing fee for credit cards.
  • The completed application and $15 should be submitted either by mail or in person to: Clerk of Circuit Court, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110-5598
  • First Time Applicants must submit Form SP-248 and proof of competency in person to: Clerk of Circuit Court, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110-5598.
  • A decision will be made within 45 days of receipt of application. The permit or notice of denial will be mailed to you.
  • Review your permit and sign it if all information is correct.  Please notify us immediately if any information on your permit is incorrect.  
  • There will be NO REFUNDS.


  • Application and payment are received in Clerk’s Office.
  • Application is sent by Clerk’s Office to the Sheriff's Department for a background check.
  • When the background check has been completed and there are no "red flags", the permit will be processed, signed by the Clerk and a card will be mailed to you.
  • If there is an issue with the application, the Clerk's Office will forward the application to Judges' Chambers for review.
  • If the Court denies the permit, the applicant will receive notice by mail, including instructions on how to appeal.  If it is approved, the permit will be mailed to the applicant.  Please include an optional self-addressed stamped envelope.


Applications for permit renewal should be submitted at least 90 days (but not more than 180 days) prior to expiration of your current permit. You must provide:

  • New completed application. Use Concealed Handgun Permit Application (Form SP-248). It is on the Prince William County Clerk of Circuit Court's website. There is no separate renewal form.
  • $15 processing fee. Please make your check payable to “Clerk of Circuit Court.”
  • One copy of the previous Concealed Handgun Permit issued by this Court or another Virginia Circuit Court or other evidence of competence.

The new issue date for permits is determined as follows:

  • Applications received less than 90 days before expiration will receive a new expiration date.
  • Applications received between 90 days and 180 days prior to expiration will be renewed at the original month and day.
  • Applications received more than 180 days from expiration will be returned.


If your permit is lost, stolen or destroyed, or if your name has changed you must submit a Request for Duplicate Permit form.  This form must be signed in front of a notary or a deputy clerk with a government issued photo ID (for a name change you must provide a copy of the Court Order or updated government photo ID). There is a fee of $5.00 to reissue a lost or stolen permit. The full Fee Table is below. Make your check payable to "Clerk of Circuit Court." 


Pursuant to Virginia Code § 18.2-308.06, Instructions for non-resident applications, other than military personnel domiciled in Prince William County, are available from the Virginia State Police. Application is made to the Virginia State Police.


If you change your address, you must submit a Request for Address Change Form.  If you move to another county, but your permit was initially granted in Prince William, you will file the request in Prince William.  Once eligible for renewal, you will file in the county in which you reside.  

Submit the form to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110. 

Pursuant to Section 18.2-308.011 (A) of the Code of Virginia, the clerk of the circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation by the permit holder of the valid permit and completion of State Police Form SP-248A, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder’s new address.

Filing, initial or renewal $15 $10 for the Clerk and $5 for the State Police
Lost or duplicate $5 $5.00 Clerk Fee
Address change $10 $10.00 Clerk Fee
Name change $5 $5.00 Clerk Fee
Replacement $5 $5.00 Clerk Fee


Please notify the Circuit Court Clerk's Office by email if you find that any of the links on this page do not work.